Thursday, April 27, 2006

Creative Space

Excellent guest lecture today by Prof. Gunter Henn from Dresden Technical Institute. Prof Henn is the architect who designed BMW's R&D center in Munich. His premise is that physical space has a direct effect on organizational structure (and vice-versa). A hierarchical organization will prefer traditional office spaces (individual, closed offices), whereas a network organzation will prefer a more open space (open desk areas with high ceiliings, for example). Creativity is bred in large open spaces where the right people come together at the right time to solve a problem. A work environment should stimulate communication while protecting concentration and these seemingly opposite goals can be achieved with the right architecture and organizational structure.

Lately, I've re-discovered the idea that I'm more creative in open spaces and more productive when I interact with people. Today's lecture confirmed my thoughts. At one point, Dr Henn postulated that "the higher the ceiling, the more creative you are". Hmm! This may explain why I tend to gravitate to the lobby of 77 Mass Ave, the large open area with the domed ceiling at the entrace of MIT. There's a Peets Coffee in the corner and I usually get my caffeine shot there every morning. Maybe it's not just the caffeine buzz I'm searching for, but that ever-elusive spark of creativity?
PS. Rajiv wrote a much more detailed summary of this lecture in his blog.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Did they really change the tiny no-name coffee stand to a Peet's???

12:03 PM  
Blogger sorinescu said...

It's a snazzy new stand. I don't remember seeing the Peet's sign, but it sells Peet's coffee and it looks just like an upscale coffee shop.

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home