Sunday, March 19, 2006

Ode to the Fallen Bikes

City life can be very precarious, especially if you were a bike. Not a day goes by without noticing a dismembered, rusted out bike on the sidewalk. And I always wonder what happened to those fallen bikes? How did they become such a casualty? Did they get vandalized, forgotten by their owners, devoured by weather and time? At one point they were the dream of a child, the pride and joy of a new owner... And look at them now!










I wonder if my bike will survive life in this urban battleground. How long before someone decides to walk away with a few "souvenirs" from my bike: the seat, the bike computer, a wheel, who knows? But one thing is for sure, my bike will never end up on a sidewalk because of my own neglect. If I ever get tired of it or replace it, I will donate it to someone who will appreciate it at least half as much as I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home